Thursday, July 26, 2007

INTO DRINKING AND SMOKING


My father decided to move again. There was nothing to worry about a difficulty of moving since there was nothing to be left behind. This time the move will be in Lugait, the last town of Misamis Oriental on the way to Iligan City. Iligan City was only thirty minutes away. But, because of my school, which at this time, I was on my last leg in my second year high, I had to stay behind. My mother asked Igmidio Salvador to let me stay with them, which means that I could be a runner to do errands and do house chores.

I had done this before, so my feeling about the whole thing was easy and also because I determined in myself to finish high school. Among all the Ayudtud siblings, the highest grade that was attained was Grade six. I made it to high school, so that meant a lot to the family. And to be in school was perfect for me, since I did not have any extra physical strength to do construction jobs like Virgilio and Rogelio. Thankfully enough, Igmidio's family received me in their home. My mom had to let me understand and that this thing was happening just because they wanted me to be the professional in the family. The day my father and mother left to move to Lugait I was already in the house of Uncle Igmidio, whom I address as Tiyo. My mom put twelve pesos in my hand.

At school I became friends to many, but Ruben Galagnara from Molugan became my best. Also, Ofelia Tan, the daughter of the richest man in town, was in my class and I can get anything from her. She was the smartest, the fairest, tall, and acceptably pretty. She had the books, all the books, and if there was a coming test, I'd sneaked out to her and gingerly ask if I could borrow her book or her notes. I did not have any book, let alone having only one single notebook, wherein all my subjects were crammed in. I did not have the money. What I had was my brain. Ruben Galagnara bicycled to got to school and I rode with him in going back home. Ofelia was a Catholic and very religious, I tended to come with her to church and learned with her how to do the Catholic religion. And observing the altar boys, I picked up what to do in assisting the priest and it did not take long that I volunteered to become one of them. The mass was done in Latin and I learned everything.

I only had two white shirts and two black pants. We had to be in uniformed always, otherwise, we would get fined with fifty centavos. I washed my uniform and polished the floors of the house everyday. The Salvadors treated me as a family and there was nothing very much to do because they had maids. They let me do what I wanted to do and let me ride with the men in the trucks who collected copra from small dealers around the surrounding barrios and communities. I enjoyed the company of the full grown men because they treated me somewhat special being the nephew of their boss. But there were also some younger men who smoked and drank. They taught me how to drive the truck and also invited me to the dances. It was not hard to learn to smoke and although they were very hesitant to give me alcohol I did taste little tanduay. I laughed with them and teased with them. I became very amused when they discussed about courting girls and they would teased me calling me sissy because I did not have one.

My daily routine now was go to school, polish the floor, go to the Catholic church, and hang out with the men and go to the dances. Because I was tall for my age, I passed for 17 years old. I learned to dance and I smoked and drank. School was good and everyone made peace with me. No one dared to cross my path because I was very well connected. At school I had my cousin Mario, who was literally huge and dark. He was strictly disciplinarian. Then I had Eleuterio Bahian, my cousin on my mother side, who was a fighter and a real mean looking guy, my protector. And then I had the men of my Tiyo Igmidio. I felt like I was secure and could do anything.

My drinking became known in the house and I was reprimanded by my Tiya, the wife of Igmidio. "Boy, I hate to tell you this but we are very unhappy with your going out with our men," her voice showed real concern. "We may have to send you home."

When the school year was over I packed up my little belongings and for the very time I headed down to Lugait. That would be my last time in Tambaling 1 and my last time with the young men that taught me toughness and the vices. And also my last time to see my St. Joseph High School class. I boarded a mini bus with my small wooden suitcase wrapped with plastic used for table cloth and the conductor put it on the top of the bus among other luggages. I could feel the air splashing in my face again. I wondered in m mind what's going to be next. Suddenly I heard a big crushing sound that hit the road. It seemed like one of the cargoes atop the bus fell down. The conductor blew his whistle to signal for the driver to stop. The bus went to a sudden halt which created a screetching sound. The conductor picked up the luggage and I saw that it was mine, all torn up, with the wrapping gone, exposing the bare plywood, and I knew that inside the box were all my earthly possessions.

No comments: